How long for an honeycrisp apple tree to produce fruit

How long for an honeycrisp apple tree to produce fruit

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

How long for an honeycrisp apple tree to produce fruit?

I have an apple tree in my backyard. The leaves are small, 5 to 6 inches in diameter. I am trying to determine if this is an "early" apple, like an Honeycrisp. How long should the leaves be before I should expect a fruit crop?

I appreciate any responses.

Thanks!

Chef_Jac

10-28-2006, 06:42 PM

Not until Spring will your trees be producing fruit. A good rule of thumb is:

Apples won't drop off the tree before March 1st.

*Pears won't drop before October 10th.

Jade2

10-28-2006, 07:27 PM

Good thing that I didn't plant anything yet!

I have a clementine tree, and the leaves are HUGE, 4-5" to the tip of each leaf. So they won't be ready for quite a while.

But before you lose a lot of interest, a couple weeks ago, I saw the first clementine. Only one at first, but it grew. We'll see!

Jade2

10-28-2006, 07:28 PM

OK. Maybe the apples should be ready by next week. The leaves are larger now, so I'll check the apples.

Chef_Jac

10-28-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Chef_Jac:

The leaves are large now, so I'll check the apples.

I know, I saw some apples on it. All I can tell you is that I went to check some three weeks ago, and the leaves were still tiny.

Jade2

10-28-2006, 07:38 PM

Thanks, Chef_Jac.

Some people have their apples ready by March. I know it's almost that time here, but they are not in anything close to that shape yet, even though the leaves are larger.

Jade2

10-28-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Jade2:

Thanks, Chef_Jac.

If they aren't ready by March, is it worth waiting? I am thinking about doing it now, since I am here and would have to order them if it isn't ready. Is there an order you can guarantee they will be ready in time for, say, next week?

Chef_Jac

10-28-2006, 07:45 PM

Assuming that I am talking about the Clem, the order won't work. It would be only apples and it's only for Jan/Feb. We can't wait until they're ready in March to get them. Even with an Apple Blossom instead, you'd have to have the right variety.

Jade2

10-28-2006, 07:47 PM

Oh, I hadn't thought about the variety. I had just assumed that it is the Clem. I didn't know they were ready for that time of year. (haha)

Chef_Jac

10-28-2006, 08:14 PM

They aren't, they are ready for Jan/Feb. You could get them from http://www.orchard.org/store/index.php.

Chef_Jac

10-28-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Chef_Jac:

I'm not sure you can call them apples then, they aren't actually apples until they are ready to be eaten.

Jade2

10-28-2006, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Chef_Jac:

I had assumed that they were apples, but I am glad you said that. So when do they actually become fruit, then?

Chef_Jac

10-28-2006, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Jade2:

According to MSU, the Apple Blossom and the Honeycrisp are available until Feb. 15, and the Clem up until March 15.

Jade2

10-28-2006, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Jade2:

So they won't drop off for 2 months.

Chef_Jac

10-28-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Jade2:

So they won't drop off for 2 months.

Actually, they are late blooming (they don't bloom until almost the same time they come out of dormancy). From the time they flower and the time they come into fruit production is 3-4 months. The fruit is not really mature until after mid summer, so there is plenty of time for the fruit to fully ripen.

Jade2